Bulletin Of State Oceanic Administration Named Plastic Garbage

- Feb 09, 2020-

The newly published "2014 Bulletin of the State of the Marine Environment in China" states that the vast majority of marine litter in China's offshore is plastic.


The State Oceanic Administration has conducted marine debris monitoring in 37 regions. The monitoring content includes the types, quantities, and sources of floating garbage on the surface of the sea, beach garbage, and bottom garbage.


The areas with high density of marine garbage are mainly distributed in tourism and recreation areas, agricultural and fishery areas, port and shipping areas and adjacent sea areas. Marine garbage in tourism and entertainment areas are mostly domestic waste such as plastic bags and plastic bottles. There is a large amount of domestic waste such as polystyrene foam.


Floating garbage on the sea surface

Floating garbage on the sea surface is mainly polystyrene foam plastic fragments, plastic bags and plastic bottles. The average number of large and large pieces of floating garbage is 30 pieces / square kilometer; the average number of medium and small pieces of floating garbage is 2 206 pieces / square kilometers, and the average density is 20 kg / square kilometers. Styrofoam has the largest amount of garbage, accounting for 46%, followed by plastic objects other than foam, accounting for 31%. In other words, plastic accounts for 77% of the total. 91% of surface floating garbage comes from land and 9% comes from marine activities.


Beach trash

Beach garbage is mainly plastic bags, styrofoam fragments and plastic bottles. The average number is 50 142 / km2 and the average density is 3 119 kg / km2. Plastic waste (excluding foam) has the largest amount, accounting for 49%, followed by polystyrene foam, accounting for 22%. In total, plastics account for 71% of beach litter. 86% of beach litter comes from land and 14% comes from marine activities.


Undersea garbage

Submarine garbage is mainly plastic bags and plastic bottles, with an average number of 720 pieces per square kilometer and an average density of 100 kg per square kilometer. Among them, the amount of plastic waste is the largest, accounting for 84%.


The world's largest pollution source

An article in the American Science Magazine last month ranked the world's largest sources of pollution by dumping plastic waste into the ocean. China ranked first, followed by Indonesia and Vietnam. The US ranks 20.


To this end, the China Waste Plastics Association issued a document that not all are caused by imported waste plastics. The association said that China's plastic recycling industry is reducing the pollution of plastic to the ocean. If only the production department recycles it, the plastic in the ocean will only be larger. In addition, China is also the world's largest producer and consumer of plastic products. The loopholes in our own environmental protection system cannot be ignored.

一福